• Behind the Blue Lamp


Barnes Police Station was first listed on V or Wandsworth Division in 1841. There were no charging facilities and no space for cells at the cottage brought into use for police purposes. There was one sergeant, one acting sergeant and 15 constables. The inspector at Richmond was expected to patrol the area and to visit each station to see that everything was in good order.

In 1878 a cottage belonging to W. Lowther MP was rented for £25 per year for the purposes of a police station. The freehold was purchased by the Met in 1887 for £575 and a new station was built, at a cost of £4,038. This building was used until 1976, when officers moved to new premises on Station Road, Barnes.

Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2020 ADAM WOOD.
Book content ©Mango Books.