• Behind the Blue Lamp


On 2 May 1898 the Home Office authorised the Receiver to acquire a site in Bermondsey for the erection of a new police station for that locality.

In March 1900 a freehold site at Tooley Street and Queen Elizabeth Street was purchased for the sum of £10,000 from the Corporation of the City of London for a new police station. A month later, in April 1900, the Home Office sanctioned a proposal that a new Police Court for the Southwark District be erected in lieu of the existing court. A parcel of land next to the police station site was purchased freehold on 30 September 1901 for £8,161.

Tenders were invited from various firms for the construction of a combined Police Station and Court at Bermondsey, with the bid by Messrs Grover and Sons for providing the foundations being accepted. The main contract was awarded to Messrs John Mowlem & Co., of Grosvenor Wharf, Millbank, Westminster. The Police Architect/Surveyor, John Dixon Butler, was responsible for the design of the buildings.

The new Tower Bridge Police Station at ‪209 Tooley Street opened in December 1904, on M (Southwark) Division.

The Police purchased the freehold to the Court in 1925. On the creation of the London Borough of Southwark in 1965 Tower Bridge Police Station (MT) remained a Sub-Divisional Station with Rotherhithe as its Section Station. During another revision of Police boundaries in 1980 Tower Bridge Division was amalgamated with Southwark Division. The station was reduced to Station Office status in 1983.

Tower Bridge Police Station was closed in 1999. Tower Bridge Magistrates Court and the former police station building are currently Grade III listed. The station was shut in February 2014 when it was sold to The Ministry of Justice for £6.975M.

Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2020 ADAM WOOD.
Book content ©Mango Books.