• Behind the Blue Lamp


In 1832 Home Office authority was given to find a site for a new police station at Hammersmith. The station was sited at Brook Green, held on lease from 25 March 1833 for a period of 30 years. The lease required police to pay all rates and taxes, except land tax and sewer rate. The Receiver was also required to keep the premises in good repair, and paint the outside every three years and the inside every seven years. The building was a substantial house of brick and slate, with a small yard at the rear. There was a good coach house with copper boilers, three cells and stabling for eight horses. It was later agreed to rent the station and three double cottages plus one single cottage to be used as section house accommodation, for a further period of two years from Lady Day 1868 at a rent of £330 per annum.

In 1869 a new police station was built in Bridge Road (now Queen Caroline Street) at the cost of £6,415. It stood where the entrance to the District & Piccadilly Station (Queen Caroline Street entrance) stands now. The station was reconstructed at a cost of £5,402 in 1913.

In May the following year local people showed great interest when 230 boys and girls from the Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage at Twickenham arrived in Hammersmith on special tramcars for a visit. Headed by their band and ‪the Orphanage banner, they marched up Hammersmith Road to Olympia to watch a rehearsal performance of the Royal Naval and Military Tournament.

The children were described as smart and having a well cared-for appearance. The girls, who were mostly taller than the boys, were neatly attired in blue dresses, with black coats and straw hats, with blue and red ribbons, whilst the boys wore black suits with dark blue caps with red stripes.

After the performance the children, headed by the T Divisional Band, accompanied by Sub-Divisional Inspector Walter Littlejohns and Inspector Grosch, marched to Hammersmith Police Station. They were received by Superintendent Powell and the children enjoyed tea and cakes set out for them in the station yard. The photograph shows a few of the children in the yard of Hammersmith Station.

Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.

Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2020 ADAM WOOD.
Book content ©Mango Books.