7. KENTISH TOWN POLICE STATION
The first station at Kentish Town was in fact the Old Watch House, which was designated as a station located on S or Hampstead Division. The building was located in Junction Place and was a brick-and-slate-built house, consisting of a charge room and two cells.
Under the divisional re-organisations of 1865 a new division was formed called Y or Highgate Division, of which Kentish Town Police Station became the Divisional Headquarters. The new Division stretched from Highgate in the south to Enfield in the north, and even in those early days each station was connected by telegraph.
A new station at 12 Holmes Road, designed by architect Norman Shaw, was occupied in April 1896 and is still in use today. The building is now listed as being of architectural and historical interest.
Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.