9. BISHOPSGATE POLICE STATION
The first Bishopsgate Police Station was opened in 1866. It was designed by City of London Surveyor Sir Horace Jones, whose other works included Tower Bridge and Bishopsgate, Smithfield and Leadenhall Markets. The Victorian building was demolished before World War II and the current station built in its place.
Biishopsgate is famous as the station where Catherine Eddowes was taken after being found drunk on the streets of Aldgate, within the City of London boundary. She was released at 1.00am by PC George Hutt, only to meet her end at the hands of Jack the Ripper in nearby Mitre Square.
Information taken from the new book BEHIND THE BLUE LAMP. Click here to learn more.